WHY USE CRYSTALS?
Crystals have become very popular recently and there are thousands of different types of crystals out there.
Many ancient cultures — including Egypt, Greece, and China — believed that crystals have healing properties.
Cyrstals may promote the flow of good energy, support you as you work on personal development, improve mental health, and/or help rid your body and mind of negative energy for physical and emotional benefits.
Disclaimer: it’s important to know that there’s almost no scientific evidence to support the use of crystals and that they don’t magically fix you. They are support tools for the work that you do and the actions you want to take towards improving your life and strengthening your spirituality. Crystals should never replace medical treatment from a qualified professional.
“Crystals are made up of different elements or compounds, which our bodies react to in different ways,” says Sonali Saujani, a crystal master healer. “Crystals are minerals that hold energy, and as we as humans are made up of energy, we can exchange energy with the crystal when we work with it.”
“If a crystal can be piezoelectric [contain electric charge], I am sure it can do so much more. They balance out electric currents and keep equipment from exploding,” says Saunjani. “In the same way, when it comes to crystals and our body, all they’re doing is balancing out the frequency of the electromagnetic currents in our body.”
“Crystals are naturally occurring minerals with a unique crystal structure, formed under pressure over millions of years, each one vibrates at its own frequency and has its own special properties. Crystals work to heal or realign your energy when it’s out of whack or to help you reach your goals.” explains Emma Lucy Knowles, Victoria Beckham’s crystal healer and author of The Power of Crystal Healing: Change Your Energy and Live A High-Vibe Life.
In other words, they’re a bit like tuning forks, bringing our energy back into balance.
HOW TO SELECT CRYSTALS
First things first: Identify what you feel you’re missing before looking into what the stones can provide you. This will help you figure out what’s going on within yourself before depending on outside sources.
Whether a crystal catches your eye or you feel a physical pull toward one, your inner subconscious and/or intuition will help guide you to the crystal that’s right for you.
Once it’s picked out, you can create the connection you need.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR CRYSTALS
Depending on the kind of stone, you can:
- set it on sea salt (You’ll want to avoid this method with softer stones like turquoise, opal, and calcite, which can scratch easily.)
- place it in sun or moonlight
- smoke cleanse with sage, palo santo or incense
- place in a singing bowl and use the vibrational frequency to clear/reset the crystal
- place in moon water or salt water: make sure you do your research before getting your crystal wet. Some stones may become toxic or will dissolve when immersed in water. Check the Mohs Hardness Scale to determine whether your crystal will disintegrate in water.
HOW TO USE CRYSTALS
Personally, however you are drawn to work with them is the right way for you. Some suggestions are:
- hold or rub while working, meditating or place under a pillow while you sleep
- place in a pocket or other clothing areas as you move through your day – just don’t forget to remove them before undressing or laundering (we’ve all done it, don’t stress it)
- place them or wear them as jewelry
- put them in strategic areas of your home. For example, front and rear entrances of your home, in your houseplants, or on a night table etc
- take them with you as you work with a counsellor or therapist or other health care professional (I take mine to meetings and dentist appointments)
- use them in other products such as black salt, ritual oils etc